Wednesday, August 3, 2011

RAINY DAY WELSH CAKES

What better way to spend a rainy day than baking with my kids?  I propped up the wee babe on the counter in his chair (which I know you're not supposed to do, but it seems safe) and the kid on the step ladder and we began to bake.  Actually I started off with Jude in the Mei Tai on my back but he wasn't happy there for very long, so onto the counter he went.  He happily gurgled at us as we began to measure and stir. 
 Every time I bake bread or make cookies, Faegan eats more raw dough than cooked.  

Anyway, today's treat was one of my favorites, Welsh Cakes.  They aren't the prettiest cookie, but they are delicious.  Most recipes call for sprinkling them with sugar before you cook them, but you should all know by now that I don't do that.  I like the subtle sweetness of them so leave out the extra sugar.  The original recipe calls for white sugar, but of course, I tried it once with coconut sugar and was really happy with the results so now I always use it instead.  I even tried making them with honey once but they were a little too moist.  But what exactly are Welsh Cakes?  Well let's see what Wikipedia has to say about that....

Welsh cakes (Welsh: picau ar y maenpice bachcacen gri or teisen radell) are traditional Welsh snacks.
The cakes are also known as bakestones within Wales because they are traditionally cooked on a bakestone (Welsh: maen), a cast iron griddle about 1.5 cm or more thick which is placed on the fire or cooker; on rare ocassions, people may refer to them as griddle scones.
Welsh cakes are made from flour, sultanas, raisins, and/or currants, and may also include such spices as cinnamon and nutmeg. They are roughly circular, a couple of inches (4–6 cm) in diameter and about half an inch (1–1.5 cm) thick.
Welsh cakes are served hot or cold dusted with caster sugar. Unlike scones, they are not usually eaten with an accompaniment, though they are sometimes sold ready split and spread with jam, and they are sometimes buttered. They are often eaten accompanied by a pot of tea.
WELSH CAKES

100 g organic unbleached flour
125 g organic whole wheat flour
75 organic coconut sugar
1/2 tsp aluminum and GMO free baking powder 
pinch sea salt
pinch of organic nutmeg and cinnamon
125 organic unsalted butter
75 g organic currants or raisins
1 organic egg, beaten slightly
about 3 oz organic milk

Method:  Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium low heat.  In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and spices.  Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse meal.  Add the raisins and stir.  Combine the egg and milk in a bowl and stir it into the flour until it forms a ball.  If the dough is too wet, add more flour until it is dry enough to roll out on the counter.  Lightly flour the counter and roll the dough out until it is about 1" thick.  Using a circular biscuit cutter, cut the dough into rounds and place in the skillet.  Cook until lightly golden on each side.


After we gorged on Welsh Cakes, I excitedly brushed my teeth with my new plastic free toothbrush that arrived in the mail today.  This is my second attempt at an alternative toothbrush, and I've got to say, I like this one way better than the bone and boar bristle one I have, and the recycled plastic jobbie that makes me gag every time I put it in my mouth.  The whole family got new brushes today!  How exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment